LATEST NEWS – Cambridgeshire Flag – Finalists Receive FI Approval
As a result of the BBC article Flying the county flag: The preservation of an identity I received numerous interesting enquiries. One of these was from the Cambridge News regards the Huntingdonshire Flag. As there is no recognised Cambridgeshire emblem this enquiry was the catalyst for a Cambridgeshire Flag.
A Flag for Cambridgeshire
In recent years the UK celebrated both the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee and the London Olympics, two major flag waving occasions. Flags are an ancient art form, developed especially to clearly display allegiance and identity. They have subsequently become the premier medium for expressing social pride. Indeed it is difficult to imagine events as diverse as sports matches, military parades or musical festivals without a wide range of flags being flown.
A flag for Cambridgeshire will be a free, public symbol for all to use that will:
- Raise recognition and awareness of Cambridgeshire
- Express the pride in our local community
- Celebrate the heritage and culture of our corner of the country
Individuals, schools and other groups are invited to create proposals in-line with the competition terms and conditions (below) and bearing in mind the Flag Institute design guidelines (below).
The deadline for submissions is Thursday 3 July
An assessment panel will then choose the final set of 6 designs to be put to a public vote. The designs will all be drawn to the same standard.
The vote will be held on this blog, beginning Monday 21 July and finishing on Sunday 24 August.
The winning flag will be registered in the Flag Institute’s UK Flag Registry
What Should Appear on the Flag?
Cambridgeshire means something different to us all that is why the flag competition is being held.
What should appear on the Cambridgeshire flag is the decision of not only those who were born and live in the Cambridgeshire, but also those who have a love of the Cambridgeshire..
For further information please read Flag Design Guidelines
To enter please read Terms & Conditions
Dates For Your Diary
Regular updates will appear on this blog and in various media.
- Thursday 3 July – Closing date for designs.
- Friday 4 July – Judging of designs.
- Monday 21 July – Finalists announced and voting starts to select favourite design.
- Sunday 24 August – Closing date for voting.
- Monday 25 August Flag registered with the Flag Institute.
- Tuesday 26 August – Flag Ordered.
- Monday 22 September – (Week Beginning) – Cambridgeshire flag unfurled.