Staffordshire and the area administered by Staffordshire County Council (SCC) cover two very different areas. For example Stoke-on-Trent, Wolverhampton and Walsall are major population centres of Staffordshire but none are administered by SCC.
Fundamental to all UK road signs is the requirement that: “Signs must give road users their message clearly and at the correct time. The message must be unambiguous and speedily understood” .
As the signs are erected to mark the boundary of SCC but state Staffordshire, which is a different area, the signs are clearly ambiguous and as such can not be speedily understood.
To date, to justify the legal questions put to them, SCC have given three different explanations for similar signs around parts of the external border of SCC:
- Explanation 1 – SCC state the signs mark the SCC border.
- Explanation 2 – SCC state the signs mark the Staffordshire border.
- Explanation 3 – SCC state the signs mark the SCC and the Staffordshire border.
Signs were erected upon leaving Stoke-on-Trent on the:
- A53 Stockton Brook
- A53 Basford
- A52 Hartshill
- A34 Trent Vale
- A50 Goldenhill
welcoming motorists to Staffordshire despite the fact that Stoke-on-Trent is part of Staffordshire. I registered a complaint and as a result was informed on Thursday 18 October 2012: “”Welcome to Staffordshire” signs on the boundary with Stoke-on-Trent have been removed”
A complaint has been registered with the council with regards “Welcome To Staffordshire”signs that can be seen upon leaving Wolverhampton and Walsall, which are of course also part of Staffordshire. On Thursday 18 October 2012 SCC stated: “There are no current plans to amend the “Welcome to Staffordshire” signs on the boundaries with Walsall and Wolverhampton.”
Stoke-on Trent is part of Staffordshire as are Wolverhampton and Walsall. The cultural heritage for all three must be respected.
- The signs marking the SCC boundary breach fundamental legislation as they state Staffordshire and must be removed or the words “county council” added to the signs.
- Signs stating Staffordshire, erected upon leaving Wolverhampton and Walsall, must be removed or the words “county council” added, as they not only breach fundamental legislation but are a slight against the cultural heritage of the good folk of Wolverhampton and Walsall.
Total Illegal Road Signs Removed = 5